Congratulations! You’ve found your dream home– it looks great, so why do you need a home inspection? You are anxious to get all the paperwork done and move in…you may have even “checked out the house”:
- Siding looks ok…
- All the lights work…
- Furnace turns on and heat comes out…
- The basement…..well, it’s a basement. It’s a little dusty and has cob webs and I won’t be down there that much anyway.
So what can go wrong? What else do you need to know about the house? At Accurate Home Inspections, our job is to inform end educate you about your largest investment!
Consider these home inspection questions:
- Is the property landscaped properly so that water will flow away from the home rather than into it, or is the siding being damaged or termites invading it because of improper soil elevations?
- Are the siding and windows installed properly so that water is not getting into the home?
- Are doors installed and sealed to keep out the cold and will they let you out of the home in case of an emergency?
- Is your foundation solid? Are those cracks a minor or very important issue that should be addressed?
- How secure is the framing of the house?
- Is the plumbing in good shape and where is the main water shut off. Is it safe to drink?
- What does the electric panel look like inside?How old is the roof and how long can I expect it to last?
- Is there rust or other problems that will be a fire hazard?
- Does it have aluminum branch wiring that will be more costly to work on it the future?
- Was the work done professionally or done by someone with less than a thorough knowledge of electricity?
- Do all the appliances work?
- How about the windows?
- The outlets?
- The lights?
- Is the attic framed and vented properly or is there mold growing up there that could be a health and/or structural issue?
And this is just the short list! A qualified home inspector will be looking for literally thousands of things when they go through a house so that you don’t walk away from a closing and go home to a potential safety hazard or a yawning money pit.
As home inspectors, our job isn’t just to point out the problems. A good home inspector will educate you about your soon-to-be-new home:
- How do I fix those problems found and how serious is it?
- What are the maintenance items with this house?
- What are some changes that you could make to improve your new home?
- And answer those many other questions the new homeowner might have on what it takes to keep the house going.
I’ve had conversations and testimonials from home buyers who tell me that just some of those suggestions I’ve made are worth the price of the inspection.
My home inspections are designed for your protection and are a fantastic learning tool, whether you are a first-time home buyer or moving to a new home. Contact me today online, or give me a call at (518) 260-2967 for more information on how your home inspection can benefit you! (Check out our Upstate NY home inspection service areas – we come to you!) Be sure to follow our Glens Falls, Lake George, Saratoga and Upstate NY Home Inspection Blog!
Photo Credit: TranceMist via photopin cc